DOT: HAZMAT: Safe Work Practices
This training focuses on employees who handle as well as transport hazardous materials. The training makes employees aware of the hazards associated with the materials they handle . . . and shows them how to work with these materials safely.
This course presents interactive instruction covering the following topical areas:
• Recognizing hazardous materials
• Shipping Paper information
• MSDS information
Shipping, Handling and Transportation
• Safe shipping procedures
• Transportation safety procedures
• Safe delivery handling procedures
Personal Protective Equipment
• Eye protection
• Hand protection
• Respiratory protection
Emergency Response Information
• Required shipper information and training
• Guidebook information
Dealing With Emergencies
• Fire fighting procedures
• Spill procedures
• First Aid procedures
This course will measure mastery on each of the following performance objectives:
Employ information on hazardous materials.
• Identify if a material is hazardous.
• locate specific hazard information.
• provide required Shipping Paper information.
• Identify MSDS information.
• Explain who needs hazardous material training.
Practice proper hazmat shipping and handling.
• Use correct containers and documentation for shipping.
• Practice safe storage and shipping of materials.
• Identify unacceptable containers.
• Identify safe handling procedures for materials.
• Identify procedures for safe transportation of materials.
Employ the appropriate PPE for hazmat materials.
• Identify appropriate eye protection.
• Identify approriate hand protection.
• Identify appropriate respiratory protection.
• Locate information on PPE requirements.
• Know other forms of personal protection.
Use appropriate hazmat emergency responses.
• Describe required Hazmat information and training.
• Use the DOT Emergency Response Guidebook.
Practice appropriate hazmat emergency procedures.
• Recognize the PASS fire fighting method.
• Describe hazardous spill procedures.
• Apply procedures for skin and eye contact.
• Identify proper first aid procedures.