Back Safety: Safe Lifting
This safe lifting training provides a step-by-step formula that also encourages learners to development safe lifting habits.
Most people don’t give much thought to their back until it’s injured. About half of us have had a back injury that was serious enough to cause us to cancel plans or change activities. Back injuries caused by improper lifting are the most common disabling injuries in the workplace.
This course demonstrates proper lifting techniques, including preparing and planning the lift. Learners are given tips to correct bad lifting habits.
A wide variety of situations both on and off the job illustrate how frequently we are faced with the opportunity to improve our lifting skills and attitude.
This course presents interactive instruction covering the following topical areas:
• Most common workplace injury
• Roles of our legs and backs when lifting
• Techniques for avoiding lifting
Planning the Lift
• Steps for planning a safe lift
• Precautions for stairways
Performing the Lift
• Preparing to lift
• Procedures to safely perform a lift
Avoiding Common Mistakes
• Twisting and turning when lifting
• Over reaching when lifting
• Exercise and weight management
• Importance of safe lifting
This course will measure mastery on each of the following performance objectives:
Practice three key actions that prevent back injuries.
• Explain roles of the back and legs to lifting safely.
• Describe the importance of getting help to lift.
Properly plan to lift safely and carry a load.
• Explain how to size up a load.
• Identify hazards before carrying a load.
• Describe precautions for carrying things on stairways.
• Explain the need for a safe place to put down your load
Practice safe lifting techniques.
• Describe proper footing and balance to lift safely.
• Explain four steps to properly lift a load.
Avoid factors that contribute to lifting injuries.
• Explain how to avoid twisting and turning while lifting.
• Describe steps to avoid over reaching when lifting.
• Recognize that exercise and weight control can help prevent lifting.