Confined Spaces - Step Back for Safety Series
This online training, part of the Stepback for Safety Series, shows workers the hazards and safe practices for working in confined spaces. Confined spaces pose many serious risks; accidents in confined spaces lead to fatalities more than any other workplace accident. A variety of hazards including toxic gases/fumes, oxygen deficiency and enrichment and risk of engulfment cause dangerous situations for workers in confined spaces.
In this course you will learn the definition of a confined space, the various hazards involved with working in confined spaces, how to acquire confined space work permit, control measures to take before entering a confined space, procedures for completing work in a confined space and confined space rescue. Keep your workers safe by training them with this course on the skills needed to work in or around confined spaces.
This course presents interactive instruction covering the following topical areas:
Introduction to Confined Spaces
• Primary hazards of confined spaces
You Need to Know
• Defining a confined space
• Defining a permit-required confined space
Confined Space Hazards
• Oxygen deficiency
• Sources of toxic fumes
• Toxin characteristics
• Potential hazards
Permitting and Safe Work Procedures
• Identifying permit-required confined spaces
• Permit contents
• Atmospheric testing
• Personnel roles
• During an emergency
This course will measure mastery on each of the following performance objectives:
Recognize a confined space.
• List the primary hazards found in confined spaces.
Recognize the hazards of confined spaces.
• Choose characteristics of a confined space.
Avoid confined space hazards.
• Explain when oxygen deficiency can occur.
• List sources of toxic fumes in a confined space.
• Agree that high concentrations of H2S are odorless.
• List potential safety hazards within a confined space.
Follow permit requirements of a confined space.
• Recall that permit required confined spaces should be clearly marked.
• List elements of a confined space entry permit.
• Agree to thoroughly test the atmosphere of confined space.
• Select personnel roles involved in confined space entry operations.
• Recall the need for the entrant to evacuate immediately in the event of an emergency within a confined space.