Abandoning, Safe Disconnect, Purging, and Sealing of Pipeline Facilities
The purpose of this training is to evaluate an individual's knowledge of the procedures and methods of abandoning, safely disconnecting, purging, and sealing of pipeline facilities.
Upon completion, student will be able to:
Requirements for Permanently or Temporarily Decommissioning or Removing a Pipeline Facility from Service
- Follow proper notification procedures prior to abandonment.
- Determine general pipeline location using reference material.
- Determine right of way access requirements.
- Locate pipeline segment using appropriate equipment.
Safely Disconnect Pipeline Facilities
- Isolate the pipeline segment in accordance with appropriate company policies and procedures.
- Perform appropriate company lockout/tagout procedures.
- Depressurize the pipeline segment.
- Disconnect the pipeline segment.
Purge Pipeline Facilities
- Purge pipeline segment of hazardous liquids and vapors.
- Verify pipeline segment has been freed of hazardous liquids and vapors.
- For offshore activities, fill the pipeline segment with water or other inert material as required.
Seal a Disconnected Portion of Pipeline
- Seal the pipeline segment.
Abnormal Operating Conditions
- Identify and respond to abnormal operating conditions.
- Document findings according to company procedures.
This training fulfills requlations 49 CFR 195.402 (c) (10), and 49 CFR 192.727.